Camden Meals on Wheels has around 80 meal items on the menu. But the meal possibilities are quite limitless in terms of adding your own touch.
Here we have provided some inspiration and basic guidance to enhance your meals. Remember that our Meal Mates can assist to prepare your meal in a way that you like.
- Bread and butter. Very easy to prepare and a nice compliment to your soup. You can keep a loaf of bread or some dinner rolls handy in the freezer.
- Add some body to your soup with noodles or pasta.
- Beans, lentils or chickpeas can be rinsed from the can and added straight into your soup.
- Add your favourite protein. You can purchase a range of meats from the deli or supermarket that come in small portions and are already cooked, ready to go.
- Dairy products such as cheese, cream, sour cream or natural yoghurt can be used to add flavour and thicken your soup.
- Croutons are a classic way to give texture to your soup and can be purchased in the soup section of your supermarket.
- Fresh herbs and spices can add a new dimension of flavour to your soup. To learn how to match up your herbs and spices, we recommend talking to your grocer about which fresh herbs to use, or reading the serving suggestions on the packaging of dried herbs and spices.
- Tofu comes in many varieties. It can be a healthy and tasty addition to your soup.
- More vegetables! Fresh or frozen veggies can add colour, taste and extra nutrients to your meal.
- Sprinkle some cheese. Versatile choices include parmesan and cheddar. There are many different types of cheese to choose from.
- Add a sauce, gravy or chutney.
- Add nuts or seeds for texture and taste. Crushed peanuts or cashews, almond flakes, pine nuts or sesame seeds.
- Stir through some herbs or spices to taste.
- Add yoghurt, cream or custard to cakes and puddings.
- For added sweetness, try maple syrup, honey or a flavoured topping.
- Fruit! Tinned fruit in syrup (peaches or pears), berries (fresh or frozen) or dried fruit (sultanas or apricots). These will go great with custard or ice cream.
To order meals, or for any assistance choosing and preparing meals, please call the office: (02) 4655 6822